Skip To Content

Faculty Advancement

Faculty Advancement

Background Image

Information for Colleges and Departments

In order to invite international scholars to conduct research or teach at SDSU, certain procedures must be followed to ensure that immigration matters are handled appropriately. Below please find the resources needed for requesting new international scholars.

For questions, contact Christinejoy Sampankanpanich at

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

In order to participate in the J-1 Program, prospective international scholars must be sponsored by an SDSU department. Once a department has agreed to sponsor the scholar, they will need to work with the department's college immigration respresentative to gather the appropriate documentation in order to obtain authorization from the Office of Faculty Advancement to participate in SDSU's J-1 Program. The following J-1 visa categories are available for prospective scholars: Research Scholar, Professor, and Short-Term Scholar. Additionally, the Department of State has established specific requirements that scholars must follow, specifically in regards to:

J-1 Initial Request

J-1 Visa Process Roundtable Slides
J-1 Initial Request Checklist
J-1 Exchange Visitor Agreement (College/Department/Scholar)
Form A: J-1 Initial Request Form (College/Department)
Form B: English Language Proficiency Verification Form (College/Department)
Form C: J-1 Initial Request Form (Scholar)
Form D: Health Insurance Memorandum of Understanding (Scholar)

J-1 Scholar Transfers

If the scholar is currently in the US as a J-1 scholar at a different institution, the scholar may be allowed to transfer to SDSU. The J-1 Initial Request process should be followed. In addition, the J-1 scholar must work with their current US institution to complet the following form:

J-1 Scholar Transfer-In Request Form

Arrival to the US

Once the J-1 scholar and their dependents (if applicable) arrive, they must meet with their college or department contact to report their arrival and to provide copies of the necessary immigration documents. 

Maintenance of Status

Any changes to a J-1 program, must be discussed with Faculty Advancement prior to the change. If there is a change in the program end date (post-arrival), funding, dependents, additional sites of activity, etc., please complete the J-1 Amendment Request Form. If the J-1 scholar changes their US home address, they must inform Faculty Advancement within 10 days of the move. 

If the J-1 scholar and/or J-2 dependents are traveling internationally during their program, they must inform Faculty Advancement at least 2 weeks prior to travel. A valid travel signature is required on the DS-2019 forms. As such, the scholar should contact Faculty Advancement to schedule an appointment to obtain the appropriate signature.

H-1B Specialty Occupation

Coming soon


Manchester Hall 3310
Office Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am to 4:30pm
Telephone: (619) 594-6111
Fax: (619) 594-2254
General Email: