Periodic Evaluations for Temporary Faculty
Temporary faculty are evaluated regularly to support good teaching and to provide information for appointment and work assignment decisions. Evaluations for temporary faculty typically take place in spring semester.
Temporary faculty members on a 1-year contract must undergo an annual periodic evaluation.
Temporary faculty members requesting an initial 3-year contract must undergo a cumulative periodic evaluation, after an entire 6-year period has been worked on a single campus in a single department to become eligible.
Temporary faculty members requesting a subsequent 3-year contract must undergo a cumulative periodic evaluation of the entire 3-year appointment, prior to reappointment.
- Review shall be conducted by a committee of tenured faculty members (minimum of 3 persons) and by academic department administrators.
- If teaching is a part of the work assignment of the temporary faculty member under review, evaluations may include student evaluations of teaching performance, class syllabi, in-class observations, or other materials related to teaching effectiveness, departmental committee review, and an administrator review.
- Evaluation criteria and procedures shall be made available to the temporary faculty member no later than 14 days after the first day of instruction of the academic term.
- A copy of the evaluation shall be provided to the temporary faculty member and filed in the official Personnel Action File (PAF) in their department.
Periodic Evaluations Time Schedule 2018-2019 - Student Affairs
Temporary Faculty Guide to Interfolio PE
Temporary Faculty Guide to Interfolio PE - Library
Temporary Faculty Guide to Interfolio - Student Affairs
Assistant Deans Guide to Interfolio - Student Affairs
Assistant Deans Evaluation Criteria - Student Affairs
Reviewer Guide to Interfolio PE
Department/School Peer Review Committee Annual Evaluation Form
Department/School Peer Review Committee Cumulative Evaluation Form
Department Chair/School Director Annual Evaluation Form
Department Chair/School Director Cumulative Evaluation Form
Dean Cumulative Evaluation Form
Guidelines for Evaluating Teaching
Periodic Evaluations Quick Reference Chart for Temporary Faculty
Staff Guide to Interfolio PE
Staff Guide to Interfolio PE for Assistant Deans
Frequently Asked Questions
- Temporary faculty members due for evaluation complete either the Annual Periodic Evaluation Cover Sheet or Cumulative Periodic Evaluation Cover Sheet, submit all applicable materials for consideration.
- Department and school peer review committees review materials, select and complete the appropriate Department/School Peer Review Committee Evaluation Form for the corresponding review type (annual or cumulative), select “satisfactory” or “unsatisfactory” and provide a written evaluation in the text field available.
- Department chairs and school directors review materials, select and complete the appropriate Department Chair/School Director Evaluation Form for the corresponding review type (annual or cumulative), select “satisfactory” or “unsatisfactory,” and provide a written evaluation in the text field available.
- For cumulative periodic evaluations only, the Dean reviews materials, selects and completes the Dean Evaluation Form by selecting “satisfactory” or “unsatisfactory,” and provides a written evaluation in the text field available. The outcome of this evaluation renders a personnel decision on retention.
- Temporary faculty members may submit a response or rebuttal statement, using the Response/Rebuttal Statement form, to any reviewing body in the process.
- At the conclusion of the process, administrative coordinators compile the cover sheet and evaluation forms and place them in the temporary faculty member’s Personnel Action File (PAF).
- Temporary faculty not holding three-year appointments who have completed at least one (1) semester of teaching must undergo an annual evaluation, which shall include a review of student evaluations.
- Temporary faculty not holding three-year appointments who are in their first semester of teaching may undergo annual evaluation if requested or required by college or department policy.
- Temporary faculty not currently holding three-year appointments who are eligible for an initial three-year appointment must receive a cumulative evaluation (in lieu of a periodic evaluation) to determine if they have been satisfactory in their duties and qualify for a three-year contract. This evaluation will be in lieu of the annual evaluation. Faculty Advancement will distribute to college RTP representatives lists of lecturers/temporary faculty who are eligible for an initial three-year appointment. Eligible faculty should be notified.
- Temporary faculty currently holding three-year appointments must undergo a cumulative evaluation in their third year to determine if they qualify for a successor three-year appointment.
- Temporary faculty holding three-year appointments may undergo an annual evaluation in any year during the term of their appointment at the request of the employee, chair, Dean, or AVPFA, or if it is required by college or department / school policy, but annual evaluation of three-year faculty is no longer required by the campus.
- Temporary faculty who begin teaching for SDSU in spring semester should contact their department/school for information on periodic evaluation.
Periodic evaluation is required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Temporary faculty members are “responsible” for submitting required evaluation materials (15.12). Required materials not available to the temporary faculty member shall be provided by the academic unit. Temporary faculty members who do not participate in the evaluation process may not be eligible for careful consideration by the academic unit for available work or a subsequent appointment (12.7).
New temporary faculty members for whom course evaluations are not yet available may submit peer observation letters or other materials specified by their department.