Full-time or part-time faculty members who intend to retire are required to notify the university in writing. These written notices are processed through the College Dean's Office.
The Policy File permits emeritus status to be granted to non-tenure-track faculty upon a majority vote of the Senate “in recognition of significant and distinguished service to the university.”
Conferral of emeritus status represents an honor bestowed by the university in recognition of significant and distinguished service to the university by tenured and tenure-track faculty from San Diego State University who may seek to continue their affiliation with and service to the institution.
- A department chair or school director may nominate a retiring lecturer to the Dean of the College.
- The Dean submits a letter of nomination to the Chair of the Faculty Honors and Awards Committee explaining the reasons for awarding emeritus status to this individual.
- The Faculty Honors and Awards Committee shall vote on the merit of candidate nominations, and those candidates approved by the committee will be presented to the Senate for approval.
- Should the Senate approve the nomination, the Provost will send a letter to the retiring lecturer announcing the award of emeritus status.
- Listing in the General Catalog: The names of Emeritus faculty are listed in the back of the General Catalog and at the appropriate department location in the body of the catalog.
- Health and dental coverage: If enrolled at the time of retirement, Emeritus faculty will continue to receive the State contribution to health and dental benefits.
- Retention of faculty I.D. card: Emeritus faculty continue to be issued a faculty ID card (indicating Emeritus status) and are entitled to all faculty privileges requiring possession of an ID card.
- Library: Emeritus faculty retain all Library privileges available to active teaching faculty. Although general availability of carrels in the Library is extremely limited, Emeritus faculty can apply through their home department for the use of Library carrels for temporary fixed-length assignments.
- Foundation services: Emeritus faculty may continue to submit proposals through the Foundation and serve as principal investigators/project directors on grants and contracts. They retain access to grant development services including proposal development consultation and use of the Foundation Grants Library.
- Office space: Emeritus faculty may apply to their respective College Deans for office space, which may be assigned as available.
- Faculty-Staff Club: Emeritus faculty who were current dues paying members of the SDSU Faculty-Staff Club at the time of their retirement are automatically granted dues-free membership for life, which entitles them to the same discounts and free use of FSC facilities that they enjoyed before retirement. Non-members may also join the FSC but at the usual monthly or yearly faculty-staff rates.
- Faculty/Staff Discounts: Emeritus faculty are entitled to all discount privileges made available to active faculty, i.e., discounts on all athletic tickets, season tickets or tickets on a game-by-game basis. SDSU discounts for theatre productions may also be available through Performing Arts Box Office.
- Bookstore discounts: Emeritus faculty may receive special discounts at the University Bookstore.
- Computer facilities: Computer facilities are made available to Emeritus faculty, subject to the same limitations that are currently applied to active faculty. Emeritus faculty seeking use of computer facilities should apply through Telecommunication and Network Services.
- Recreational facilities: Emeritus faculty are entitled to use all campus recreational facilities requiring possession of a SDSU ID card.