Each year, San Diego State University recognizes outstanding faculty who have contributed the most to the university or on behalf of the university in such categories as teaching, distinguished scholarship or professional activity, or other exceptional service. The awardees each receive a monetary award from the SDSU Alumni Association and are recognized at Convocation in the Fall.
Alumni Award Nomination Form (PDF)
Alumni Award Nomination Form (Word)
Please submit nomination forms to the nominee's Dean’s office. Each nomination form can include up to four pages of justification.
Faculty (including librarians, coaches and counselors) may apply for up to three (3) WTUs assigned time for activities conducted during the 2022/2023 academic year or planned for the 2023/2024 academic year, so long as this service is not already supported by assigned time.
Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement (20.37), “Exceptional service awards are intended to recognize faculty who have a demonstrated commitment to working on issues faced by our diverse student population. Assigned time from this pool should be awarded to faculty for mentoring, advising, and outreach, to support underserved, first-generation, and / or underrepresented students and other practices in support of such students, including those caused by cultural taxation. This support includes but is not limited to:
- Development and implementation of high-impact educational practices
- Curricular redesign intended to improve student access and success
- Service to the department, college, university, or community that goes significantly beyond the normal expectations of all faculty
- Assignment to courses where increases in enrollment have demonstrably increased workload
- Other extraordinary forms of service to students
The CSU Wang Family Excellence Award recognizes four outstanding faculty members and one outstanding administrator who, through extraordinary commitment and dedication, have distinguished themselves by exemplary contributions and achievements.