Each year, San Diego State University recognizes outstanding faculty who have contributed the most to the university or on behalf of the university in such categories as teaching, distinguished scholarship or professional activity, or other exceptional service. The awardees each receive a monetary award from the SDSU Alumni Association and are recognized at Convocation in the Fall.
Faculty (including librarians, coaches and counselors) are eligible to apply for up to three (3) WTUs for exceptional service to students conducted in 2021/2022 or planned for 2022/2023, so long as this service is not already supported by assigned time and meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Student mentoring, advising, and outreach, especially as these activities support underserved, first-generation, and/or underrepresented students;
- Development and implementation of high-impact educational practices or curricular redesign intended to improve student access and success;
- Service to the university or community that exceptionally exceeds the normal expectations of all faculty;
- Assignment to courses where increases in enrollment have demonstrably increased workload;
- Other extraordinary forms of service to students.